University

History

HISTORY


The foundation of Balıkesir University trace back to Karesi Teacher School established in 1910. This school has been carried to the building which is used as Necatibey Faculty of Education with particular interests of the Minister of Education, Mr. Mustafa Necati. Till 1982, the number of higher education institues reached 4: Necati Institution of Education, Architecture and Engineering State Academy, Balıkesir School of Industry and Tourism, Balıkesir Vocational School. These foundations changed status with Delegated Legislation No 41, and were connected to Uludag University. Necatibey Teacher’s Training School continued to train teachers between the years 1932 and 1982 under the name of Necati Institution of Education, left its 3-year status, received 4-year-Higher Teacher Training School status. In 1982, having been connected to Uludağ University, this foundation has been called Necatibey Faculty of Education. In the same way, the name of Balıkesir School of Industry and Tourism has been changed as Balıkesir School of Tourism and Hotel Management, but the name of 2-year-Balıkesir Vocational School has remained the same. Having stayed under the roof of Uludağ University for 10 years, these foundations has formed a powerful background for Balıkesir University with healthy and consistent development. Balıkesir University was founded in accordance with the law 3837 published in 21281 numbered gazette dated July 11st, 1992. Having incorporated since January 1st, 1993, Balıkesir University has been carrying on its activities with 11 faculties, 5 institues, 5 schools, 16 vocational schools, 20 research centers,1081 instructors and 38.892 students.